1. Cuckold - a husband of a cheating wife.
2. Collaret - small jewelry made of fur/ cloth that women wore.
3. Enticed - offering pleasure or advantage.
4. Imprudent - not showing care for consequences.
5. Asperity - harshness of tone or manner.
6. Prevail - to succeed.
7. Stratagem – plan or scheme.
8. Sermonize – to compose or deliver a sermon.
9. Doleful – expressing sorrow.
10. Lunacy – state of being insane.
1. What do they tell John to trick him? (Plot)
2. Do you think someone would believe Nick's lie about the flood today? (Plot)
3. How does Allison react to Absalom? (Characterization)
4. Didn't John know what he was getting himself into when he had a young wife and a young student living the same house? (Characterization)
5. How do the lies develop the betrayal throughout the story? (Theme)